Programs and Services

Rental Rebate Progam for the Elderly & Disabled

What is the Rental Rebate Program? It is a program for Connecticut renters (tenants) who are elderly or disabled and whose incomes do not go over certain limits. There is no asset limit. If you qualify, the State of CT Office of Policy and Management will send you a rebate check. The amount of the rebate check is based on your income, the amount of your rent and the utility bills that you paid in the previous calendar year, (excluding telephone and cable). Rebate amounts can range from $50 to $900. Applications must be submitted between April 1st and October 1st.

You may be eligible if…

  • You were 65 years of age or older as of December 31 of the previous calendar year; or
  • Are the surviving spouse of someone who was eligible at the time of his/her death and over 50 years of age; or
  • If you are permanently and totally disabled and 18 years of age or older.

In addition, you must…

  • Have lived in Connecticut for any one year period; and
  • Have rented a house, an apartment, a room, a mobile home; and
  • Have an annual adjusted gross income below $32,300/year if you are single or have a combined income below $39,500/year if you are married or in a CT civil union.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the Emergency Aid Association at 860-668-1986.

You need to bring:

  • Copy of Social Security 1099 for the previous calendar year, if you need a copy, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. Ask for TPQY
  • Copies of your electric payments for the previous calendar year (To request a payment history, call CL&P at 1-800-286-5844)
  • Copies of your rental payments for the previous calendar year
  • Copies of all 1099’s for all other income sources
  • Copy of the front page of income tax, if filed
  • If disabled, current proof of disability